dinsdag 20 januari 2015

Bam-bam-bam..!



Yeah, I could do it! 800 km in 6 days :). A different style of cycling then before, being on the road from 8 a.m. till sunset. But then, a new phase in my trip had indeed started; I had bought a tent and now I feel that I’ve really joined the ‘worldcyclistscene’ ;) Although some extra kgs, it feels really good to be flexible and selfsufficient.

I had a deadline for the first 800 km (Bangkok – Chiang Mai); 6 days until New Year. Which meant (for me) long days. Sometimes I longed for an easy day, but somehow I also found satisfaction in making such long days, and seeing that, despite the headwind (again...), I made quit some progress. Slowly I saw the landscape changing from rice fields (sometimes smogged because of all the ‘fertility’burnings), sugarcane-biofuel plantations (and accompanying trucks :( to more mountainous area.


Having reached CM, I headed back south again, since my parents would arrive there. Being less in a hurry, I could take the smaller roads through beautiful non-farang-visited areas. Dry, hilly areas, where the only income people could make was from some cows they had. However, in such areas people are the most friendly. I happily smiled and waved to everybody, having the feeling that I am so lucky I can experience this! Agreeing with one of my songs “Life is a journey, not a destination..”

Whenever I entered a colourful village market, I heard the buzzing of “farang, farang..”. (a sign to double the prices??). Everybody smiled happily to me and then continued rasping their papaya (salad), chitchatting with their neighbours.
On an early morning market visit, at 8.00 am sharp, the national hymn was played and everybody froze. I was surprised to see this happen, and it was so funny that I had a hard time to not burst out in laughter. After some minutes it was over, and everybody continued their normal way again.
Although not really common, I still tried to bargain. Sometimes this resulted in a kind of argument (especially with older women), in which half the market was taking part. And thanks to José, at least I never paid for a watermelon anymore ;)



In Ayuthaya, I was reunited with my parents, so nice to see them again after almost half a year! Together, we cycled for some days, before each went his own way again; they to Cambodia, I in this same direction, but on a somewhat slower pace.

Now, I’m spending my last days in Thailand the same way as I began here; at the beach. Only this time I pitched my tent J. I have spent almost 3 months in this nice and relaxing country, with people with a big, beautiful smile. After some 7500 km, I think I’m ready for some more ‘difficult’ countries; Cambodia and Laos; poorer, tougher, roads more wobbly, steeper, more authentic, ...??




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten