zondag 24 mei 2015

Bye bye Asia..!

I probably surprise some people by telling that at this moment of writing, I'm sitting at the airport of Doha, Qatar, waiting for my connecting flight from Chengdu to Istanbul. Yes, I have left Asia, but No, it's not the end of my trip. I will continue from Istanbul towards Europe. An unexpected turn of/in my trip, also for myself :).

I never really had a plan, as I have described in previous blogs. I always just continued in the direction I was going (with several detours). I would cycle in SE Asia, I kind of had in my head when I set off for my trip, 10 months ago.
Leaving Vietnam, and thereby having fullfilled this part, it felt logical to continue to China, although I never really had had the intention of going there (but Im very glad I did!). Once being that far, I thought I could also just continue cycling in the direction of 'home' (which I actually don't have, but anyway).
This would imply cycling through Central Asia; the Pamir Highway and -Stan countries, Iran, Turkey... I have thought a while about this idea, took time to let it sink in. But somehow, it didn't feel good, not being the right moment. I felt that for the moment, I have spent enough energy, toughness, to be able to fully enjoy those countries. It feels like this area will be a completely different world, a trip and experience on its own. And that, for me, inquires reloading energy and the ability to absorb more, new impressions, people, cultures, landscape, stories and toughness.
Moreover, after having traveled for 10 months alone, I know what it is, I know I can do it, but I also experienced that I prefer to have company, to be able to share, everything. So yes, I definitely want to cycle central Asia, but not now and not alone (anymore).

So i made up this new idea, since I didnt want my trip to be over yet. Closer to Europe, things would be easier; I could just pitch my tent anywhere, not being so special anymore, it would be easier to communicate, etc. Don't get me wrong, all those things were really part of the Asian experience, and most of the times I enjoyed it. But sometimes I began to feel I had enough, I became a little irritated or so. And that was be a pity, because it implies not enjoying so much anymore. A sign for me that I am draining my energy and have to refuel it (in easier areas).

So that's why, with some pain in my heart, some tears, but also a big proud smile, I left China a few hours ago. I looked back at 10 months, almost 15,000km cycling. That's quite an achievement!

Thinking back to the beginning of my trip... it feels that I have become a different person; more relaxed, more confident about myself and things, more trust in people and that 'everything will be fine' and a better bike mechanic ;) I still am my own selve, dont feel I have really changed, but do feel I have grown. When? I dont know. Why? I do know; because of all those very nice people I have met, spent time with, shared a part of my heart with and gave me part of theirs. The openess, warmth and ease, that is something I have learned, made me grow, and I don't want to loose anymore!

Travelling, especially by bike, showed and learned me so much; about the countries (all those places where normally no tourists go, but which are the best!), its people, cultures, tribes, customs, religions, childrens and their attitudes. The houses, architecture, roads, ways of transport. Nature, landscapes, mountains, jungle, desert, sea, islands. Monkeys, elephants, cockroaches, mice, rats, musquitos. Trucks, scooters, exhaust, industry, rubbish, polution. Cycling, surfing, hiking, climbing, running, relaxing, hammocking, chatting. Rice, local specialities, chopsticks, spicyess, bananas, watermelons. 'Potable' water, developing a strong stomach. Hospitality, warmth, friendliness, poverty, hapiness. Hello's, smiles, stares. Shitty hotels, fancy ones, homestays, temples, police offices, hospitals, camping, Warmshowers.Toilets, squatting, hygene, (lack of) toiletpaper, 'showers'. Warmth, HOT, coldness, sun, and luckily very little rain. Headwind, tailwind, climbing, descending. Good roads, unpaved roads, badly paved roads, roadworks, dust, mud. 2 punctures, 2 broken spokes, 2 broken gearcables, 2 torn tires. Continuing, also when it seems endless, because at some moment there is an end. Strong, weak, tired, painfull, irritated, the ability to carry on and be strong. And so much more...

It made me think, about how strange, different, 'special' I/we actually are, being westerners we consider ourselves as being the 'standard' against which we compare everyone, the centre of the world. But nothing less is true: after a while, seeing some westerners again, I also looked upon them like 'you don't suit here' (as neither I did...). No wonder the local people looked so strange at me, that white girl, 31-not-married-no-kids, on a bicycle, independent, alone, with blond hair on her arms (thats more or less the reaction I got everywhere, how people considered me..).
But meanwhile radiating this feeling I could conquer the world!!
And I did, partly :)


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten